Hunslet RLFC v Leigh Centurions

31/07/2011 - 3:00 pm
South Leeds Stadium


Today’s visitors were recent Northern Rail Cup champions Leigh, who are also flying high in the league so any points gained would have been a real bonus.  In the opening encounters Hunslet looked to have taken an unexpected lead when Adam Sullivan crashed over the line after receiving a slip pass from Luke Haigh only to have the score wiped for a forward pass.  Although the officials looked to be a good 5 yard off pace unfortunately the decision had been made and this poor decision making was carry on for the duration of the game.


Only 4 minutes later Leigh took full advantage on Hunslet’s misfortune when McGilvarry sent Ellis through to score and put the first points of the game up on the board.  Ellis then converted his own try.  The Hawks returned to the defending of last weeks and kept Leigh at bay all the way up to the 25th minute when Goulding received a ball from Martin Ridyard and split open the Hawks line, this one also converted.  On 30 minutes the Centurions were back in Hunslet territory and scored another this time when Ellis kicked through a ball which was grounded by a suspiciously looking offside James Taylor.  The scores were stacking up for Leigh but 3 minutes passed and the Hawks lost possession in the centre of the field gifting the visitors one more.  Just on the hooter a knock on from the Hawks was not called by the officials and play was allowed to continue Maden scooped up the ball and while the Hawks stood watching a dubious forward ball managed to reach Rhys Evans and also lose the attention of Stuart Kain.  The half ended with Hunslet being 26-0 down, a real drubbing on the cards.


To be fair to the Hawks they played much better in the second half, and only over eager defence which led to a few players jumping out of the line allowed Ellis to hit the gap and cross the line for his second.  15 minutes of good play passed before Leigh scored again with what seemed their best try of the game a perfect inside ball and a hasty play, the Hawks were split right open allowing Steve Nash to ground the ball with ease.  The centurions added the final points on 79 minutes when Andy Thornley picked up an Ellis through ball, and touched it down.  Ellis then closed proceedings with the conversion and rounded off a heavy defeat for the Hawks, although against one of the most impressive opponenets that we have faced this season.


Hunslet are now looking desperate for points and need to avenge their 70-12 hammering at Bramall Lane when the Sheffield Eagles visit the South Leeds Stadium next week.


Come on the Hawks we’re all still with you!


See you there



Hunslet RLFC

Position T C P DP Points

Leigh Centurions

Position T C P DP Points


Date Time Season
31/07/2011 3:00 pm 2011