Oldham RLFC v Hunslet RLFC

27/07/2014 - 3:00 pm


A trip to Whitebank Stadium was always going to be a tough one for the Hawks. Facing a second in the league Roughyeds outfit unbeaten at home the Oldham side continued in similar fashion. Coming away with the 3 points after beating the Hawks 24 – 23 in the last minute of the game.

A try in the corner kicked things off for the home side pushing them in front early on. But the Hawks squad, not too dissimilar to the winning side from Gateshead a few weeks ago, were determined to give as good as they got. Lee Brickwoods brilliant kick caught the Oldham winger off guard and he was forced to push the ball safely out of play. Granting Eaton’s side possession dangerously close to the line Grimshaw got his hands on it and found it almost too easy to dance through the waiting defenders and touch it down. With Ballard landing the Hawks conversion the 2 points had put them in the lead. The Hawks maintained their advantage with some good defending, but were forced into doing some into heavy work in their own half. Nield had his hand over the line on a loose ball and when confusion over the ball being ripped or a knock on went in favour of the Roughyeds they were back in the lead. Despite the continuous setbacks in the first 40 minutes the visitors still had time left on the clock. A huge tackle from Aaron Lyons that caused an error should have been enough for the Hunslet side to gain momentum but the penalty was wasted and the slight downhill advantage allowed the Oldham forwards to do what they needed to and Robinson charged over to make it 16-6 at the break.

Lee Brickwood had been having an outstanding game and got the ball rolling for the fight back stepping inside to put the ball over the whitewash. Jimmy Watson was shortly behind him some good handling in the build up, the fullback slotted perfectly in position and crossed for his first of the afternoon. The Hawks dominance was clear for the majority of the game but the side struggled with numerous penalties especially in possession. When a decision finally went the way of the Hawks James Houston powered onto a pass from Coyle and got the ball over under the sticks. The game was forced to slow down when things got heated and a player from each side found themselves cooling off in the sin bin. Tommy Coyle dropped a goal with 10 minutes to go and the scoreboard looked promising at 23-16. 10 minutes left to go and ill discipline crippled the visitors, repeat sets spent defending the line told as the Roughyeds managed to break through. Clinging to the 3 point advantage it was impossible to watch as Langtree burrowed over in the corner in the very last minute. Barely enough time for one set for the Hawks and the Oldham side had taken the game by 1 point.

A difficult defeat for the Hawks to take who had looked very strong heading into today’s game. A win today would have given us the confidence we need to go into the 4 game streak we now face. Hopefully the boys can get back on track to face Oxford at the South Leeds Stadium on Sunday.

Hunslet RLFC Line up
1. Jimmy Watson
2. Gavin Duffy
3. Lee Brickwood
Sponsored by: Eric Simon
4. Danny Maun
Sponsored by: Norty Forty
5. Andrew Ballard
Sponsored by: Barry & Norma Harding
6. Danny Grimshaw
7. Thomas Coyle
Sponsored by: Yorkshire Signs
8. Michael Haley
9. David March
Sponsored by: A & R Construction
10. James Houston
Sponsored by: Stephen Bower Bespoke Joinery
11. John Oakes
Sponsored by: Leeds Bacon Company Ltd
12. Aaron Lyons
Sponsored by: Linda Hemingway
13. Liam Mackay
14. Matthew Tebb
15. Luke Stenchion
Sponsored by: J Mulkeen & Co Builders Ltd
16. Lewis Reed
17. Chris Clough
Sponsored by: Heineken
00:16 Danny Grimshaw Try
00:16 Andrew Ballard Goal
00:47 Lee Brickwood Try
00:47 Andrew Ballard Goal
00:52 Jimmy Watson Try
01:01 James Houston Try
01:01 Andrew Ballard Goal
01:13 Thomas Coyle Drop goal

Oldham RLFC

Position T C P DP Points

Hunslet RLFC

Position T C P DP Points


Date Time Season
27/07/2014 3:00 pm 2014