The fourth in Steve Calline’s series of finals featuring Hunslet Rugby League club…

For the last season of 15-a-side of rugby, the Northern Union authorities brought a couple of new knock-out trophies into play.

One was the Lancashire Cup, open for clubs at the western side of the Pennines; the other was the Yorkshire Cup, for eastern clubs. They had realised that cup-ties produced a larger gate than ordinary league fixtures.

Hunslet were given an easy start to the first-ever Yorkshire Cup with a home fixture against Saville Green, a Leeds junior side. However, Hunslet’s early progress was not as easy as expected before 3,000 spectators. A 7-0 halftime lead was doubled in the second period to 14-0, Albert Goldthorpe kicking four goals, and Albert Everson and Charlie Ward scoring tries. Our team was:  H Place, W Goldthorpe, W J Eagers, A Everson, C Ward; W Ward, A Goldthorpe; W Brooke, W Fothergill, JW Glew, W Jukes, C W Uttley, H Wilcox, H Wilson and W Wray.

The second round was a week later, a home tie with Keighley, and the side was slightly reshuffled. W Ward moved to wing, Walter Goldthorpe moved to centre, Everson switched to stand-off and T Walsh came into the forwards to replace Uttley.

We had a much easier passage than in the first round, winning 37-3, Albert Goldthorpe kicking seven goals and Eagers dropping one. Tries were scored by W Ward (2), C Ward (3), Brooke and Glew before 5,000 interested spectators.

The third round took place three weeks later, again favoured with a home draw, the opponents being Hull Kingston Rovers. Our team was: Place; W Ward, Eagers, Walter, C Ward; Everson, Albert; W Brooke, W Fothergill, J W Glew, W Jukes, J H Shooter, T Walsh, H Wilcox, W Wray. We were leading 10-0 at half-time when the fog descended – too thick to allow play to continue – after 63 minutes. The score stood at 12-3 at the time, Albert having two goals and Eagers one, while Walter Goldthorpe and C Ward scored our tries.

The Yorkshire committee decided the game should be replayed four days later and Hull KR obviously wanted a home game. Hunslet said we shouldn’t have to play a full game as we couldn’t lose in the 17 minutes left to play previously. Anyway, it was decided to replay at Parkside and Hull KR were not happy.

We won this 14-3, Walter Goldthorpe landing a goal, C Ward scoring two tries, W Ward one, and Albert one. The crowd was a disappointing 5,000. We fielded the same team, except Wilson returned for Fothergill.

The final was on 2 December at Bradford, and Halifax were our opponents. We selected the following team: Place; W Ward, Eagers, W Goldthorpe, C Ward; Everson, Albert; Brooke, Glew, Jukes, Shooter, T Walsh, Wilcox, Wilson, Wray.

Halifax started like a house on fire and scored an early try so Ahr Albert and our forwards put their heads together. They then denied Halifax possession and Albert kept us moving forward, and we finished with a win of 13-3. Walter kicked two goals, Albert scored three drop goals and Charlie Ward scored his customary try before 18,000 spectators. The receipts were £465.

Hunslet were on a 19-match unbeaten run, apart from a friendly at Wigan, and Charlie Ward scored in 9 successive games, accumulating 13 tries in this period. He finished the season with 24 for a new Hunslet record.