Keighley Cougars 16 – 24 Hunslet RLFC

Hunslet bounced back from three consecutive defeats to win at Cougar Park in dramatic style. The Parksiders coming back from a 16-0 deficit to take the victory.

The home side opened the scoring early when a Benn Hardcastle kick caught both Daley Williams and Aiden Hema cold, allowing Josh Lynam to touch the ball down.

Hardcastle had an effort ruled out shortly after, with the referee judging he was offside from Ritchie Hawkyard’s grubber in goal.

The Parksiders were then reduced to 12 men for an hour after Lewis Reed was shown red for a late shot on Dan Parker, which was missed by the official but noted by his touch judge.It was Hardcastle on hand once more to add the extras, and he took the two points on offer to him once more moments later after the South Leeds outfit were penalised for a high tackle.

Cameron Leeming then thought he had extended the home side’s advantage after Jimmy Watson failed to diffuse the Hardcastle bomb in goal but the try was disallowed for offside.

Another bomb, this time by Parker, caught Hunslet napping and, after Josh Lynam flicked the ball back into the in-goal area, Hardcastle was on hand to touch it down.

But the Cougars wouldn’t keep the visitors scoreless at the interval as Cain Southernwood broke from a show and go and put a try on a plate for the onrushing Jimmy Watson.

The second half was a feisty affair, and former Cougars captain Josh Tonks, rattled by the home support’s jeers, was lucky to not receive his marching orders for a stamp on Nathan Conroy.

And things finally boiled over on the hour mark as Lynam was sent for an unscheduled breather after a late shot on Watson.

Hunslet then got back in the game through Liam Mackay who raced through a gap next to the posts.

The visitors then thought they had levelled but David Foggin-Johnston’s effort was ruled out for a knock on.

However, after Hawkyard and Hamish Barnes were both sin-binned, Hunslet took advantage with two late tries through Mufaro Mvududu and Michael Haley to snatch the victory.

The Cougars finished with 10 men come the full-time hooter as Mike Emmett was shown a red card following Haley’s score.

Match Report from Keighley News