Hunslet RLFC v Keighley Cougars

01/04/2013 - 2:00 pm
South Leeds Stadium


The Cougars came to the South Leeds stadium and gave a strong first half performance and despite an exciting come back from the Hawks. The Keighley side had done what was needed and managed to go away with three points!

The visitors crossed the line in the first 10 minutes as acting captain Danny Jones was keen to make the most of a Waine Pryce error under the sticks. The stand off was on top form this afternoon and set up the next one as well; a great ball to Daley Williams who put it away for the Cougars second. The Hunslet outfit looked to have cut the penalties and the increased possession paid off as a try was on the cards, Keinhorst brought it to the line and a good offload to Houston who got it away to Haughey, keeping it alive he flicked it onto Grimshaw who crossed the whitewash and eased the pressure of his side for the minute. Ansell’s kick just sailing wide of the posts and the shoreline still looked uneasy at 4-10. Ex Hawk Richie Barnett thought he was across the line for the Cougars as he latched onto a loose ball and set off down the right wing, Keinhorst relieved the Hawks with a try saving tackle but his efforts were in vain. As the Keighley side were after more points before the break Leatherbarrow put through a reverse kick and Hunslet failed to react to it allowing fullback Paul White to get over and touchdown.

Sean Hesketh powered over the line minutes into the second half and looked to have pushed the game out of Hunslet hands with an 18 point advantage. The Hawks realised they would have to be smarter on the back of penalties and the side we have watched in recent weeks came alive. The home side regained some composure and late into the final 40 were much more aggressive in their attack. Welham’s surge for the line found him tackled just short and March was also on the run breaking free from a tackle in his own half he gave a ball to Pryce who just didn’t have the legs. The next try was almost written as the ball swooped across field from Grimshaw to Welham then out to Jamel who just let it bounce in front of him. The Hawks didn’t stop there determined to show the fans they were committed they regained control and within the final 12 minutes powerful second row man Tommy Haughey crossed the line 3 times. He got himself a hatrick the side were positive they could still win this, but the comeback came a little too late and the final whistle blew at 18-22.

So just 1 bonus point from the busy Easter schedule is not what was expected and there is certainly room for improvement but the game wasn’t all negative today the boys put up a big effort to fight back! Next week’s Challenge cup fixture against Oldham will surely be a big one for the Hawks and will hopefully see us safely through to the next round.

Well done to Barry and the boys.

Hunslet RLFC Line up
1. Jimmy Watson
2. Waine Pryce
Sponsored by: Yorkshire Signs
3. Jimmy Keinhorst
Sponsored by: In memory of John Hodgson
4. Liam Welham
Sponsored by: Adrian Jinks
5. Jamel Chisholm
Sponsored by: A1 All Cars Ltd
6. Danny Grimshaw
7. Danny Ansell
8. Andrew Yates
Sponsored by: Village Urban Resorts South Leeds
9. Luke Haigh
Sponsored by: Elliott & Ewan Green
10. Luke Menzies
Sponsored by: Fred & Jane Hopkins
11. Tommy Haughey
Sponsored by: Dawn Caley
12. John Oakes
Sponsored by: Leeds Bacon Company Ltd
13. David March
Sponsored by: A & R Construction
14. Paul Hughes
Sponsored by: The Mortgage Guide 0113 2198395
15. Luke Helliwell
Sponsored by: Jewson, Leeds
16. James Houston
Sponsored by: Stephen Bower Bespoke Joinery
17. Steve Lewis
Sponsored by: Leeds Bacon Company Ltd
00:26 Danny Grimshaw Try
01:08 Tommy Haughey Try
01:09 Luke Helliwell Goal
01:12 Tommy Haughey Try
01:16 Tommy Haughey Try

Hunslet RLFC

Position T C P DP Points

Keighley Cougars

Position T C P DP Points


Date Time Season
01/04/2013 2:00 pm 2013